Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The duty of youth is to challenge corruption

The greatest challenge that youth faces today is the ability and courageous disposition we must acquire to question authority. It is a common belief that when severely analyzed and broken down, one who is perceived as an elder who employs their authority over the youth does so in a suppressive fashion. We feel helpless and defeated in the midst of our trials, for they seem to want us to believe that age and authority, i.e. reign over us, somehow represents that they have more knowledge. They have weathered the storm already and have acquired the common and intellectual knowledge the youth is trying so hard to obtain. However, age does not necessarily mean knowledge, nor does experience. Yes, experience does pose issues within a lifetime that must be conquered, however, how does one know that they've actually learned something? History repeats itself right? So one problem or moral dilemma could, in theory, facilitate multiple decisions throughout a lifetime, or an adult could assume one stance for every similar problem when a more rash, morally right decision could have been foreseen and made by a younger, less jaded individual.
This is to say, that the only way to change the corruption of our predecessors is to find the courage within ourselves to stand up and demand to be heard. Not to simply suppress ourselves to the belief that age ultimately means authority. Because the youth is here for a reason, we learn from each other and possess ideas vastly different from those before us. I am responsible to say, however, that as our ideas differ, they may be wrong or right. We are no better than other generations, as they are not to us. The difference is, we take everyone seriously.


In a way agreeing with this present blog-thought of mine, I had previously written another entry which I never got around to posting. However, I do believe that within the context of the following paragraphs, the theory in mind has revelance to the previous thought. Therefore, here is that one:

I originally entitled it; "I thought we had a mess of time."

Everyone is instinctively in a rush. Everywhere. Everyone. All the time. I was sitting at my desk today becoming irritated with a perma-stoned truck driver who seems to take forever every time he steps into the hallway, with his papers all askew, and then spends 10 years walking to my desk. Everyday, more than once actually, I get aggravated because people do not move at the "hit the ground running" speed i assume everyday. Yes, I do admit that I am a bit lazy, but when I have things to do, I have to be efficient and punctual. I hate wasting time waiting for things to take flight.
I have no idea why everyone is in such a rush all the time, including myself. We are virtually going nowhere, fast. I guess we all feel the impending doom laying over our lives as we try to hurry up and do everything we want to accomplish before we ultimately perish. I think that ever since the population embraced the "modern" sentiments and ideals (and in the last few years really adhered to the post-modern) we all inherently believed that doing things "faster" ultimately meant more "efficient." The modern era cuts corners and wants to mass-produce without the quality our fore-fathers witnessed. Time is money, and both of those concepts ultimately corrupt the population. Everything is machine-manufactured, and its gotten to the point where reality is a term even Descartes wouldn't understand. I think as a generation, we've begun to forget the consequences of what this fast-paced life has in store for us. Virtual relationships where no contact is actually needed? No hand-written letters of apology or thanks, but its all in the form of text messaging, where no actual words are needed? Let's face it, romance has been long gone, as courting has seen its last days. Slow dancing is now replaced with trashy hip-hop clubs, and decent artists are replaced with nerds who can work a PC. Family owned stores hoping to make a living for their families, as was the American Dream are replaced by Wallmarts, who in contrary house products manufactured from our neighboring countries, and in actuality families are replaced by brief passings in the morning. Homemade dinners are consistently replaced with Taco Bell, and family television night has been replaced with reality tv shows all watched in separate rooms.
Okay, I admit, I am a victim to all of these. But I just need to stop for a second, take a break from this exhausting life, and realize that we're all in a hurry to grow up, just to be troubled by even bigger problems. At least that's how I feel. Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to be older. For different reasons of course. Like when I was in middle school, I wanted to be the girl old enough to have boyfriends, notice the plural there. When I was old enough to have them, all I wanted was a serious one once in high school. Once I experienced that, now all I want is to be old enough to just be serious. To be taken seriously. To be seen as an adult, worthy of an intelligent conversation and to be seen as a sensible woman who knows the difference between right and wrong. All I want is to start "life." Or what a girl my age imagines "life" to be. A steady job, a home, a husband, children. Believe me, as much as I am mentally awaiting these things, I am only working towards them, just like before.
Everyone is in a extreme hurry to grow up. But as I was watching my all-time favorite television show tonight, I've realized two things (1) as we're in a race with time to grow up, we forget who we are, who we've always been and (2) these over-dramatized adolescence problems we were so quick to get over and move on, well they only get worse.
In comparison to the modern times, people are accelerating at this extreme rate. Within the context of the accessibility and faster, more efficient behavior that the modern times are trying to assume, the people, as they equip themselves to grow up at an accelerated rate, also are leaving things behind. Morals, quality, and independence on ones self, are all attributes deadened by the need to get things done faster, i.e. grow up faster. We decide that living at this fast paced life ultimately brings about more prosperity and more enlightened activity, but all of us, as people and as a country and world as a whole, seem to have no problem throwing away or simply forgetting what we are giving up. Our souls become weaker, and loss of will is dominant within our culture. Sell-outs are walking around the country with their pockets stuffed, and everyone perceives them as a God because they have made a secure living for themselves. However, as a mass, we ultimately delude that secure living, does not necessarily mean good living. These people living amongst us, who have their mansions and fancy cars have deadened spirits. Their souls were compromised for their flat-screen tvs or the CEO position at Wallmart, because these people realized that the key to success is to step on anyone that is in your way. This dog-eat-dog mentality caused the great depression, and is causing the financial crisis we face today. No analysis takes this into consideration as we are a pro-capitalist society, and to them, that means that the "end justifies the means." In so far as, one is to do anything, such as compromising their souls, to meet the expectations of the rich. If this is what success means, then give me poverty. Drastic, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment